Now, you can unlock your iPhone, even if you don’t have wifi. Dump silly Cydia issue. Many users encountered a problem of unlocking their iPhone 3G/3GS after jailbreaking, updating or restoring when it comes to using of Cydia. Cydia needs Wi-Fi (wifi) to download repositories (resources) from its network after entering the URL like ‘repo.bingner.com’ etc. Most affected users are those who don’t have Wifi like people in India. Wifi is still not so common. Another thing is, after upgrading to baseband 6.15.00 you can’t unlock it without Cydia. Then you are left with nothing but iPhone, which will not accept the SIM Card, and you will see the screen showing ‘Slide to Unlock – Emergency Calls only’, ‘Connect to iTunes’. However, I have found a solution which was given by MoghulG, who made a tool which pushes required files to unlock using your PC without a need of any connectivity. This method is tested with 3G/3GS until iOS 4.2.1 and Baseband 6.15.00. Here is step by step method to do it;
- Windows XP Service Pack 2 or 3. (no other OS will work)
- iTunes 9.2. Download it here and install. (Newer versions will not work. I tested them already)
3GS may require version 10.0.1.22.
- This tool called ‘iPhone Unlocker by MoghulG’.
- Connect your iPhone (ON) and run iTunes. iTunes will may say “SIM Card not Supported”. Don’t worry.
- Unzip and Run the software by MoghulG. There is a button saying “Do it”. Press it.
3. The software will copy some files needed and window will disappear.
4. Remember what it says – “Restart the phone twice.” It is the most important step.
5. So, disconnect the phone and Restart it twice. Voila… It will start showing Operator Name and Signals will start. “As I said, it is tested on 3G iOS 4.1, 4.2.1 and 3GS 4.2.1 with Baseband 6.15.00”
- If you are hung on this screen with no activity then you have not met requirement 1 & 2.
1. If it doesn’t work then you need to Activate your phone. Remember Activation, Unlocking, and Jailbreaking are different things. iPhone needs both, to be unlocked and activated. Easiest way will be to restore the phone with 4.2.1 or 4.1 Custom Pre-activated firmware (IPSW files).
2. Some people reported GPS functionality issues.
Finally, Thanks to my one of my co-worker, as because of her I found & learnt all this. Have Fun!